Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Engaging Learners with New Strategies and Tools
Today's generation is equipped with modern technology that is not only used for pleasure, but has the capabilities to assist them academically. Many of these devices possess these qualities unbeknownst to its user. Devices such as iPads and iPods have become ideal in today's classrooms. Additionally, the use of Skype, chat rooms, wiki boards, and blogs have aided in allowing students to collaborate with ideas to form a more enhanced knowledge of the subject in discussion. Outside tools such as the iPad and iPod engage students in the learning process. These products are common use to its owners, therefore, allowing them the advantage of knowing its operation. The applications that can be downloaded on the devices, assist students in academics through the creation of leveled learning tools. They also have voice and video recorders which can bring out the creativity in a student.
Gaming has provided students with an alternative to the traditional methods of learning and has proven to be a technique that improves the understanding level of students. Peer-to-Peer interaction through collaboration is another strategy that has strengthened the level of understanding in students. Collaborating via Skype, social networking sites, blogs, and wiki boards allow students to get insight from the perspective of their peers. Discussing information on this level allows them feels a sense of comfort, as they are willing to have discussions without feeling the pressures of maintaining accurate grammar and assessment.
The ability of these tools to effectively work well in the learning environment also depends on the instructors methods of incorporation. These products must demonstrate relevancy to the topic. The usage of technology should correspond to a particular skill or unit. Storing technological tools around the classroom without use, to suit the representation of today's classroom is an inadequate method of attempting to engage instruction. Technology has the advantage of bringing interaction among students and the instructor, as well as engaging students in the learning process, therefore enhancing their ability to think cognitively, logically, and analytically.
I responded to:
jshives11 ~ http://jshives11.blogspot.com/2011/07/module-4-engaging-learners-with-new.html#comments
P. LaPollo ~ http://educ7102.wordpress.com/module-4/#comment-20
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Temeka,
ReplyDeleteYou mentioned the use of online educational games as a strategy to increase student engagement. Have you also considered virtual worlds? Seeing through the lens of an educator, it may be easy to see their potential for interactive, engaged learning. For example, emerged in a virtual world, students may explore three dimensional science concepts or may experience visits to art galleries and historical societies.
Bianca,
ReplyDeleteYes, I have explored virtual worlds with my students. This strategy is very engaging to students. This allows them to view and interact with a foreign topic and make it very realistic. They are able to make a connection to the topic. Supplemental to the virtual experiences that I provide, many students engage in their own virtual lessons through a computer-based program, Renzulli Learning. These virtual experiences are catered to their individual interests.
Temeka:
ReplyDeletePatrick LaPollo's response.
Fantastic graphical display, did you make that?! Have you taken any classes yourself where the instructor effectively engaged the class with games? I have yet to experiences that, but I am more than willing!
Patrick,
ReplyDeleteYes I did construct the graph myself. It was created using Microsoft Word 2003. Because I could not embed the graphic organizer saved as a doc. I had to copy it to Microsoft PowerPoint and save it as a jpg file. I have previously participated in a course that discussed how to engaged students using mathematical games. This course was paid for by the district, however, the games were simple card and board games. Although, this method does stimulate students occasionally, I think that using computer-based gaming is more effective.
I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
ReplyDeleteHerpes is a serious and recurrent condition that cannot be cured by drugs or injections by DR JAMES , but the best way to fight against herpes is to take natural herbal remedies, I red about DR JAMES, the great herbalist who cures people of HIV virus with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to find out how he could help me and he told me never to be afraid that he would help me with the natural herbs medicine! After 2 days of contacting him he told me the medicine is ready and he sent it to me via DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got me in 3 days! I used the medication as he prescribed for me (MORNING and EVENING) and was cured! It's really like a dream, but I'm so happy! For people suffering from the following diseases,Shingles,MS,Bullous Pemphigoid,Diabetes, cancer,Pcos, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, arthritis, Hpv, infections, liver disease, autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine, because I am a living witness and I was cured of herpes virus. and DR James medicine is legitimate. I sent him what he asked for and he sent me his medication which I took for 2 weeks and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I was so happy after I took his herbal mix medicine.CONTACT DR JAMES FOR A PERMANENT CURE Email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com