The quest to determine how collaborative participation should be assessed lies first in defining the role of participation. The educator must first establish the criteria of how each individual should contribute to the task. This information must then be shared in detail with the students. Secondly, the educator must determine an evaluative mechanism based on the established criteria (Marcinek, 2011). The educator must ensure that their assessment provides attainable tasks for a variety of leveled learners. Therefore, the assessments should be created in a variety of forms both traditional and authentic. To begin understanding how this can be created, educators must holistically understand their students. This can be determined through obtaining students learning patterns, attitudes toward learning, current skill level, interests, and so forth.
When entertaining the element of fair and direct as described by Siemens (2008) in regards to assessment, the educator should be assessing the student’s ability to communicate within a group setting. Whether the individual maintains a massive amount of knowledge or little knowledge of the concept at the beginning of instruction has no regard to their ability of working collaboratively. Assessment should be observed at the beginning, middle, and end of each task, allowing each individual an appropriate amount to time to formulate knowledge, opinions, philosophies, etc. of the concept. Therefore, the ability of the educator in establishing participation lies in the student’s ability to effectively contribute to the learning population. Consequently the capability of an educator to provide fair and equitable assessments directly link to offering sufficient time.
The instructor as well as the students play the role of facilitator in an online learning environment. However, the instructor is in responsible for outlining expectations, providing support, and giving consistent feedback on all learning applications. If a student does not initially engage in the collaborative process, the group members can probe them through direct questioning. If there is still resistance the group members must attempt to make them understand that the learning environment is one that is welcoming and free of bias and criticism. When the group members have no other resort, the instructor should be notified, in which they should then stress the importance of why collaboration is important and its role in the course. This should not affect the assessment plan created by the instructor, since the criteria of the course had been defined in its initial stage.
In all, assessments are tools used to measure particular criteria. The measurement must be undoubtedly defined, attainable, have rationale, and created to suit a variety of leveled learners. When applied effectively, this tool can enhance the learning capabilities of every learner.
References
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2008). Distance Education: Assessment of Collaborative Learning [Video]. Baltimore, MD: Author
Marcinek, A., (2011). Importance of Collaborative Assessment in a 21st Century Classroom. Retrieved on July 12, 2011 from http://www.edutopia.org/blog/collaborative-assessment-digital-classroom-social-media-tools
I responded to:
Bianca Lochner ~ http://lochneruni.blogspot.com/2011/07/educ-8842-module-3_13.html?showComment=1310782062457#c3551666050486408722
Patrick LaPollo ~ http://educ7102.wordpress.com/module-3/#comment-16
References
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2008). Distance Education: Assessment of Collaborative Learning [Video]. Baltimore, MD: Author
Marcinek, A., (2011). Importance of Collaborative Assessment in a 21st Century Classroom. Retrieved on July 12, 2011 from http://www.edutopia.org/blog/collaborative-assessment-digital-classroom-social-media-tools
I responded to:
Bianca Lochner ~ http://lochneruni.blogspot.com/2011/07/educ-8842-module-3_13.html?showComment=1310782062457#c3551666050486408722
Patrick LaPollo ~ http://educ7102.wordpress.com/module-3/#comment-16
Temeka,
ReplyDeleteA rubric might assess participation based on quantity of discussion threads, on how often a learner interacts with others. A learner can be heavily engaged in the learning community without contributing to the depth of information that would increase the level of learning outcomes. On the other hand, there could be an individual who rarely participates but may share a key idea that enhances the level of learning for all the other community members. How would you assess participation in a learning community?
Bianca,
ReplyDeleteAlthough a rubric is a good suggestion to assessing students in a manner that does not show bias, there are other ways to assess participation. The observation of participation does not have to be recorded, unless it is for an assignment. Depending on what the task is, depends on how I would assess participation. If the learner does not contribute any information to the group, then participation has not been achieved. An example: a student has printed several articles on a topic and brings them to the group session the next class session without reading and summarizing the message of the article has contributed, yes, but has not participated in a learning community. The goal of a learning community is far different than establishing contributions.
Hello,
ReplyDeleteI agree there are several ways to assess students. Sometimes all you need is a checklist, but for most assignments a rubric seems the fairest. I like the rubric because it always lists the expectations.
Bianca & jshives11,
ReplyDeleteThe use of rubrics are excellent way to deliver expectations to students and measure the skill/task being observed. As you both highly support the rubric as an assessment tool; do you believe that a rubric can be biased in any form?
I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
ReplyDeleteHerpes is a serious and recurrent condition that cannot be cured by drugs or injections by DR JAMES , but the best way to fight against herpes is to take natural herbal remedies, I red about DR JAMES, the great herbalist who cures people of HIV virus with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to find out how he could help me and he told me never to be afraid that he would help me with the natural herbs medicine! After 2 days of contacting him he told me the medicine is ready and he sent it to me via DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got me in 3 days! I used the medication as he prescribed for me (MORNING and EVENING) and was cured! It's really like a dream, but I'm so happy! For people suffering from the following diseases,Shingles,MS,Bullous Pemphigoid,Diabetes, cancer,Pcos, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, arthritis, Hpv, infections, liver disease, autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine, because I am a living witness and I was cured of herpes virus. and DR James medicine is legitimate. I sent him what he asked for and he sent me his medication which I took for 2 weeks and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I was so happy after I took his herbal mix medicine.CONTACT DR JAMES FOR A PERMANENT CURE Email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com